1.06.2011

2011 Resolution: Take Time to enjoy the Best Wines made on this Planet!

(More wine news on www.vitabella.fr) Yquem, Vega Sicilia, Petrus, Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Egon Muller, Romanee Conti, Penfolds Grange, Sassicaia, Krug, Quinta do Noval, Dom Perignon, Margaux, Screaming Eagle, Pingus....Sometimes privileges come with age. And sometimes they come with your job!.

Travelling, meeting nice persons, tasting magnificent wines with knowledgeable people is definitely A Great Privilege. I have to admit that drinking the most fabulous wines produced on this planet is something unique. But, at the same time, I may sometimes feel frustrated not to have spent enough time to enjoy those wines. In fact, professional tastings have nothing to do with a scenario like "opening a bottle, sitting around a table with some people, having food and enjoying a glass". And for that reason, I sometimes feel that I miss a part of the experience. So, if there would be a resolution for 2011, I would go for that one: Take more time to enjoy some of the greatest wines Nature and winemakers are offering.

12 months, 365 days....2010 has given great opportunities to taste splendid wines. I say "taste" because most of the time it was during professional tastings. I would definitely sit again and enjoy the wines I particularly appreciated. Some examples?

1978 Champagne de Venoge Blanc de Blancs, with its beautiful and exhuberant truffle aromas and a definition of purity on the palate.

1999 Coteau de Vernon (Domaine Georges Vernay), for the expression of minerality, precision and elegance in Condrieu.

1900 Chateau Gruaud Larose for the perfumes, the colour and the delicate fruits. Simply unbelievable after 110 years...

2000 Littorai, a pinot Noir from Sonoma County (USA) that delivers a lovely fruit, with a great balance and a nice potential for ageing. A future US icon wine?

1990 Chateauneuf du Pape Barberac (Chapoutier) for a brilliant interpretation of Grenache in a great vintage and in a splendid appellation.

2007 Giorgio Primo which shows a great balance between structure, power and aromas. A mineral tuscan wine for great Bordeaux lovers!

1963 Quinta do Nova Nacional: Dark ruby, Sweet, spicy, tannic, silky...There is everything in this Port.

In 2011, if I could have these delicious wines once again, I would share them with some friends and take my time. I would forget about the immediate reactions I have during professional tastings: Is it really as great as we would expect? To what wine does it compare? what other vintage of this wine could it be compared to? How does it rank in this particular vintage compared to other producers? Does it exactly reveal the terroir? In fact, I should forget about all these questions that come first to my mind and which make, maybe, the experience a bit different. Difficult, in fact, to get out of this analytical aspect which is now part of myself. But, anyway, you know how difficult it is to follow the resolutions you wrote down on January 1st...So Have a great 2011! I wish you to enjoy many new unforgettable experiences and share great wines with winemakers down in their estate cellars!(More wine news on www.vitabella.fr)